Date: ca. 1817 - 1820
In the days when sugar was served in lumps, sugar tongs were a helpful tool. William Phillips and John Foster operated their silversmith ship on Loudoun street in Winchester. It was probably the same stand earlier occupied by silversmith William Campbell, whose sister was John Foster's wife. In 1817 the firm advertised that it was a "silversmith business in all its various branches." "Watch repairing in the most careful and substantial manner" was included in these services. The firm also advertised its jewelry and gilding as elegant durable, and "equal to any in the United States."