Date: ca. 1820 - 1866
Charles Stewart opened a silver shop in Charles Town in 1820. He advertised there that he would "Manufacture all work in his line in the neatest and best manner." From that point through the end of his career, Stewart demonstrated his marketing savvy by expanding and advertising his services. Eventually his shop offered watchmaking, clock-cleaning and repair, and custom work "on shortest notice." Son George joined the firm in 1847 but resigned two years later to become a grocer. Excepting for that brief period, Stewart's sons did not follow him in the family business.