Volunteers at The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley play an important role in fulfilling our mission of preserving and enriching the cultural life and heritage of the Valley. Share your time and talent as a Support Volunteer, Garden Volunteer, or volunteer in our galleries, store, gardens, with programs, or in the administrative offices. If you love to learn and enjoy interacting with people, the MSV is the place for you! See a list of Volunteer opportunities HERE.
• 10% discount in the Museum Store
• Complimentary passes issued quarterly
• Participation in volunteer training programs and previews of new exhibitions
• Participation in the annual Volunteer Bus Trip
• Inclusion in annual Volunteer Appreciation Events
• Lots of Fun!
You can volunteer at the MSV in one of three ways:
• Description: Support Volunteers assist in one or more areas throughout the MSV campus such as in the Gallery Lobby, at Admissions, and with Education programs. You can choose one area in which to volunteer or you can provide support throughout the campus.
• Requirements: Basic Support Volunteer training is a commitment of 6 hours over a 1–2 week period. Training includes orientation in campus safety and security, the gallery floor plan, and a garden overview. We prefer a commitment of at least one day a week. Support Volunteers may participate Tuesday–Sunday 10 (or 11) a.m. –1 p.m. or 1–4 p.m.
• Qualifications: The ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time, walking on hard surfaces, indoors or outdoors; desire to work with visitors of all ages.
• Description: Garden Volunteers help keep the MSV gardens beautiful for our guests by weeding, removing spent blooms from plants, watering plants in containers, planting annuals and perennials, picking up garden debris, and assisting staff in larger garden projects like pruning and mulching.
• We prefer a commitment of at least 2–3 hours per week, though there is flexibility.
• Requirements: Garden Volunteer training includes orientation in campus safety and security, and training for tasks as assignments are made.
• Qualifications: The ability to bend, kneel, and pull.
• Description: Gallery Volunteers specialize in MSV site, collection, and exhibition information, and answer questions in specific areas of the MSV campus. They facilitate Museum experiences for student and family groups and are enthusiastic about sharing the Museum’s galleries and gardens with visitors.
• Requirements: Approximately 12 hours of training and a one year commitment. Gallery Volunteers also attend periodic training throughout the year for new exhibitions, garden and gallery updates, safety and security, and other volunteer education enrichment sessions.
• Qualifications: Ability to communicate and work comfortably with the public; willingness to engage with visitors in the galleries using interactive techniques.
If you are interested in volunteering at the MSV please complete our online Volunteer Application form HERE.