The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley offers diverse and unique career opportunities ranging from support or professional, seasonal or year-round, and part-time or full-time. While some departments and positions require highly specialized education and experience, others seek individuals with more broad-based or skills-related backgrounds. An equal opportunity employer, the MSV offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits program. Thank you for your interest in employment at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley.
MSV Director of Philanthropy
The Director of Philanthropy will serve as a key member of the senior staff and planning teams and will report to the
Essential Job Functions:
• Oversee development initiatives including annual fund, campaigns, major gifts, foundation and government
grants, corporate relations, fundraising and outreach events
• Manage relationships and engage in direct cultivation of major prospects, including individuals, corporations
and foundations, along with identifying partnering opportunities to leverage existing support for the museum
• Advise Executive Director and the Board of Directors on trends in philanthropy, provide counsel on matters
related to fund development
• Manage and coordinate the development department staff
• Manage and coordinate volunteers for fundraising events including annual fund, major gift, and grant writing
• Lead outreach efforts to broaden MSV’s visibility locally and regionally
• Manage grant proposal development and submission process; ensure proposals, reports and other documents
are well written and submitted on schedule
• Provide leadership to the Board of Director’s development committee
• Initiate and implement support to all development projects
• Other related duties as required
Relevant Skills and Abilities:
• Understand current philanthropic trends and stewardship practices
• Create and execute innovative fund development initiatives
• Identify potential funding sources
• Provide outstanding representation of the MSV to the Board, staff, volunteers, community and foundations
• Manage multiple developmental projects, both independently and in a team setting
• Highly organized, detail oriented
• Excellent communication, effective listening, and interpersonal skills
• Excellent verbal, writing, editing and spelling skills
• Strong public speaking skills and the ability to craft persuasive oral and written presentations
Desired Professional Characteristics:
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher
• Seven years minimum development experience with a proven track record and a progressive increase in
Desired Personal Characteristics:
• Integrity, trustworthiness and credibility as a team leader
• Sense of humor
• Listening and learning skills
• Decision-making ability
• Effective communication skills
Qualified candidates, please submit resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and three references to
Bryan & Jordan Consulting, LLC
PART-TIME GUEST SERVICES ASSOCIATE
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley is seeking an enthusiastic professional for the position of Guest Services Associate. A Guest Services Associate is a part-time, hourly position with flexible work hours including weekends and some evenings as needed. Guest Services Associates provide front-line customer service in the Lobby, Gift shop, Gate House and on the phone; process museum admission; provide online program registration to callers, direct all incoming phone calls; and disseminate general information to the public. Additionally, Guest Services Associates provide exceptional hospitality services in an attentive, friendly and efficient manner to all guests during their entire visit.
The ideal candidate will work well with the public and MSV colleagues, interacting with a diverse group of people; excellent organizational and communication skills; basic math skills; working knowledge of retail operations, including POS, telephone and computer systems; interest in and/or knowledge of history, decorative arts, gardening, horticulture and fine arts.
Qualified candidates, please submit resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and three references to [email protected]. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Please visit our Volunteer page for more information about volunteer opportunities and expectations at the MSV.
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley requires selected candidates to be subjected to an investigative background report. The MSV is an at-will employer.